Like? Share it with your friends.
Asian Beacon is pleased to announce its writing competition. The submission of articles will begin on 1st June 2020 with the closing date of 12th July 2020.
This writing competition aims to achieve several purposes. We believe that there is vast potential in the digital realm to bridge and transcend boundaries and let your story be known to a wider audience.
There is also a great occasion during this time of restricted movement to develop your talents. Through this writing competition, we hope to engage better with you as our reader and to extend an opportunity for you to share your story.
The theme of the competition is simple. We want to know more about you and the impact Christ has had on you and others through your life; your conversion or the new birth, life-changing encounter with Christ, or your discipleship with others.
Like all competitions, prizes will be given but we want ours to be something different. Your stories will leave a much more lasting impact beyond this competition. We hope to hear from you. Find out how to join by clicking on the button below.
The Asian Beacon Writing Competition is governed by Persaudaraan Asian Beacon Malaysia, a Christian non-profit media organisation managing the contemporary Christian magazine known as Asian Beacon. The competition will undergo a few phases according to the following timeline:
|Submission of Articles||6 Weeks|
1st June 2020 to 12th July 2020
|Judges’ Evaluation and Selection||2 Weeks||13th to 26th July 2020|
|Public Voting||2 Weeks||27th July 2020 to 9th August 2020|
|Announcement of Winners||–||15th August 2020|
|Prize-Giving Ceremony||–||22nd August 2020|
Terms of Competition
This competition is open to all Christian citizens of Malaysia, subject to the following conditions:
- The participant must be able to prove their Malaysian citizenship. In line with this, all participants are required to fill in their personal details, such as their IC Card Number and Full Address, during the submission of their articles.
- To maintain the independence of the competition, the participant must not be affiliated with Asian Beacon in any way, whether they be current or ex-staff of Asian Beacon, or whether they were employed full-time or serving as a volunteer with Asian Beacon.
How to Enter the Competition
- Articles can be submitted starting 1st June 2020 with a closing date on 12th July 2020.
- To maintain fairness for the competition, participants will be divided into two categories:
- those between the ages of 16-30, and
- those 31 years and above.
Please indicate which category you are in by selecting your correct age in the Competition Submission form.
- Participants may submit multiple entries. However, only the latest submitted entry will be eligible for consideration in running for the prizes.
- All submitted entries must be an original creation written specifically for this competition and must not be taken from a work written in the past.
- Participants may submit their articles by uploading them along with their personal details on the Competition Submission Form on https://asianbeacon.org/competition-submission/ Please ensure all details (personal and article-related) entered are correct. Any discrepancy will result in an immediate disqualification of the participant from the competition.
- All submitted articles must follow one of three categories, according to the theme of the participants’ personal faith journey as a Christian. These categories are:
- A testimony of how you became a Christian (Conversion)
- A life-changing experience with Christ after becoming a Christian (Personal Journey with Christ)
- An impact the participant has left on others as a Christian (Discipleship)
Please indicate the category of your article in the Competition Submission Form.
- Articles can be submitted in English, Bahasa Malaysia and Mandarin.
- All submitted articles should be titled. Please enter a title for your submitted article in the Competition Submission Form before uploading your article and clicking on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Participants can submit their Christian names and pseudonyms instead of their real full names but do ensure that you fill in your other personal details (IC number, address, etc). This will help us in verifying your identity if your article has been selected as one of the winning entries.
- All submitted articles must be between a minimum of 1000 and a maximum of 1500 words.
- All submitted articles must be typed and in the form of a Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat PDF (.pdf) document. All other formats such as essays sent in the body of an email or through a cloud link are not accepted.
- The font size in the article must be in Arial 12pt font, with a paragraph spacing of 1.5.
- All submitted articles must include a title and the category it is in, listed at the top right corner of its first page.
Copyright and Plagiarism
Asian Beacon views plagiarism seriously. Participants agree the article submitted by them is an original work written by them specifically for this competition, and further, that the submitted work is free from any breaches of copyright. Any article found to violate copyright laws will immediately be disqualified.
Judging Process and Winner Selection
- All submitted articles will undergo two phases of evaluation.
- In the first evaluation phase, three appointed judges will be evaluating and selecting their 10 favourite articles. All judges’ decisions will be final.
- The articles selected by our judges will proceed to the next evaluation stage, which is a polling process which is open to the public. The articles selected by the judges will be placed on the Asian Beacon website for voting. Readers will be able to register and log in to our website’s voting page and vote for their favourite article. Each voter can only cast one vote.
- We will be posting all important updates on the Asian Beacon official website. Please check our website regularly.
- The top three articles for both age categories after the public voting phase will be awarded with prizes. Consolation prizes will be awarded as well.
- Winners will be announced on the Asian Beacon website on 15th August 2020.
- The prize giving ceremony will be held at the Asian Beacon office on 22nd August 2020.
- The name of winners will be announced on our official website on 15th of August 2020. Please check our website regularly.
- The prize giving ceremony will be held at the Asian Beacon office located at 19C, 3rd Floor, Jalan SS22/19, Damansara Jaya (just behind Atria) on 22nd August 2020. Please check back on our website for updates.
- All winners are required to attend the prize-giving ceremony either in person or through a representative. Any winner absent from the ceremony will immediately be disqualified.
- The prizes up for each category are:
1st Prize – RM500
2nd Prize – RM300
3rd Prize – RM200
- There will also be 20 free pizza vouchers sponsored by Dominos Malaysia given out as consolation prizes.
Rights to Publish and Permission to Contact
By submitting their articles, participants agree to:
- give Asian Beacon unrestricted permission to publish their article, in whole or in part, digitally or in print. Further, that this permission is given through sincere goodwill, without the incurrence of any form of royalty
- allow Asian Beacon to contact them in the future via email or other forms of communication. Participants may unsubscribe from our mailing/subscription list at any time
Rights to Capture and Publish Media
By submitting their articles, participants agree to allow Asian Beacon to record them, either by photo or through video, at events which Asian Beacon will be organising in relation to this competition.
Further, Asian Beacon will be allowed to publish this media at their discretion on their website or any future documentation or news material.